This is an introductory level course into commonly occurring invasive species found in the UK as well as some global examples. This course will provide useful information on early recognition and control of invasive species. Topics include:
- What is an invasive species? (terrestrial and aquatic, plants and animals)
- How species invade, naturally, accidentally and deliberately
- Environmental impacts
- Identifying invasive plants such as: Japanese knotweed, Himalayan Balsam, Giant Hogweed, Parrot’s feather
The course will be split into 9 modules:
- Module 1 What is an invasive species?
- Module 2 Impacts of invasive species.
- Module 3 International treaties, strategies and the law.
- Module 4 Plants – Giant Hogweed, Himalayan Balsam, Rhododendron.
- Module 5 Plants – Japanese Knotweed.
- Module 6 Plants – the others.
- Module 7 Top 10 Invasive Species Globally.
- Module 8 Animals – UK – mink and grey squirrel.
- Module 9 Animals – the others (UK)
Course format: These 9 self-study modules that you can read through the content in your own time. To further enhance your knowledge and learning experience there will be some directed reading at the end of each module. At the end there will be a short quiz and if you get over 70% you will receive a Certificate.
Time commitment: We advise students to allow 2-4 hours per week to complete each module and to read around the subject.
Learning outcomes: You will gain a wider knowledge on the subject that will help equip you for jobs in the conservation and ecology sectors.
What our students have to say…
“This course was really interesting thank you!” GB
“I found this course very interesting. Had no idea invasive species is such a problem!” GW
How to book: You can book on-line here. You will get access to your learning materials straight away
Booking for another person?
If you are purchasing a course/s on behalf of another person, please follow these steps to ensure they can access their course/s:
- Create a student account using the student’s (whoever will be taking the course) details and contact information or use their existing student account.
- Including the correct billing address and information for the payment method that was used.
- Leave us a note in the ‘additional information’ box to let us know it was purchased with another person’s debit/credit card.
- Make sure to pass on the Username and Password to the student so they can get started on learning. All their course materials will be available on their account.
Booking for multiple people?
If you are purchasing courses on behalf of multiple other people, follow these steps to ensure they can access their course/s:
- Create a student account under your own details and add the correct number of courses for all the students you are purchasing for. (Example: If three people need to take Mammal ID, add it to basket three times).
- Ask each student (person who you have purchased the course for) to create their own student account on our website with their own details.
- Once purchased, contact us directly to let us know the Names, student account Usernames and Email Addresses for each student you have bought for.
- We will contact each of them directly with directions on how to purchase the course free of charge once it has been paid for already.
If you have any problems with this process, please get in touch – [email protected] or 03301653024